Das Magazin für umgebaute Motorräder

American-V2-Magazin

Werbebanner

Billy Lane Knast-Interview

• November 2011 Interview with Billy Lane
    Almost Halfway into his Six-Year Sentence, Billy offers insight into his life and dreams of the future
    Interview by Bandit with photos from Choppers Inc.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://www.bikernet.com/docs/stories/10250/gallery.jpg]

Since Billy was incarcerated over three years ago, we have been in touch. Recently we sent him a series of questions, which he answered and you will read his responses below. Over the months ahead, I will send Billy a couple of questions monthly, based on this kick-off interview. As his sentence grows to a close, we will find out what he thinks of the Florida Prison system, his restrictions and opportunities, and his thoughts for bike building when he returns.

I spoke to his sister, Georgia Lane/Briggs, today. She is trying to handle and regroup his product line. Currently she sells his six-gun risers, grips, oil caps, and foot pegs on EBay. You can find his products through searching for Choppers Inc. or Billy Lane.

Are you tired of discussing the case that put you behind bars? What are your thoughts now?

Ive been really private about this for several reasons; I dont like to think about it, but I do think about it every day. I probably always will. Anything I say about it may affect the lives of others negatively, and I am sensitive to that. Finally, Ive seen the benefit to discussing it. Much of what was reported in the media and discussed online was conjecture, misinformation, or just plain false. I decided to leave people with their perceptions, rise above it, and move on with my life. I take responsibility for what I did, and I am paying for it.

What about the football player who was convicted for a similar offence and did a modicum of time?

My guess is that youre referring to Donte Stallworth. There's one enormous difference between his case and that and mine difference is that Donte Stallworth is not responsible for his victims death. I am responsible for mine. Stallworth shouldnt have been charged under the stature. But Florida has a mandatory minimum sentence of 15-years for this, which virtually guarantees that a defendant will take a plea deal. I did. He did. We followed his case very closely.

I heard you were able to restore old trucks while behind bars. How did that work out?

First year here, I worked in the prisons motor pool. I didnt restore old trucks. All of the prison trucks are old. My job was to help keep them running and to repair them. We pieced a few together using donor vehicles. I learned a few things and passed on some knowledge to a few others. I still go over there to fix something from time to time, if they need me.

Tell the Bikernet Readers how your days play out and your feeling about the Florida Prison systems, and your facility.

I should wait to address this one at a later time.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://www.bikernet.com/docs/s…50/width650/b6gallery.jpg]

What's next for you? When do you think you'll be able to apply for work release?

In Florida, we must serve at least 85% of our sentences. I was handed a nine year split sentence, which consists of six years in prison followed by three years of supervised probation. This began in 2006, and wont really be over for me until 2015. But I have less than three years of prison time left to serve now. I will become eligible for a work-release program/halfway house in the spring of 2013.

You mention that your sister is keeping Choppers Inc. alive. Tell me about that?

Choppers Inc. has really always been a family thing. My brother, Warren got me into Choppers. My first products were derived from parts I made as gifts for him and my cousin, who became my first partner in Chopper, Inc. My Dad, Mom, and nephew have worked for me and now my sister is running things. Shes updating some old products. They are still in huge demand. She is performing some re-designs as well. Id been working on prototypes for new parts for years, but failed to introduce any. Look for some of that to emerge under Georgias (my sister) direction. Quality and service will remain high, prices will be lower. As always, parts will be made in the USA.

Is there anything we can do to keep the fires burning while you roll through your remaining time?

Hard to believe the overwhelming amount of support Ive received from all over the world. Its clear to me that I am not without a future. Many, many people believe in me. Im tremendously thankful for that and that is all I need.

Have you enhanced your education during this time?

If you laugh, Ill flatten your tires, but I took a family & marriage course. Ive read a lot of informative books. Im not much into fiction. I have learned quite a bit about a variety of things. Ive read several books on business. The short answer is yes, but I havent done anything on a formal basis.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://www.bikernet.com/docs/stories/10250/b7gallery.jpg]

Do you have a plan upon your release? Can you tell me about it?

Getting back to a regular life will be a big adjustment. This experience is different in every conceivable way and in some ways you havent even considered. The adjustment will take some time. I plan to take some time to adjust, and to make the time available, which will be tough. I plan to re-engage with Choppers, Inc., and get back to designing parts and creating again. I plan to help the motorcycle industry regain strength.

Ultimately, my goal is to have small shops in both Florida & California. I have life-long ties here, which I could never abandon, but I need a change. Ill find it in California. If shell say yes, Ill marry my girlfriend.

Are you pumped about any given project once you get out?

Im pumped about many projects when I get out. Id begin with a few unfinished projects. Mentally, I have created several. I dont think Ill build as many as twenty more custom bikes. The number will be limited and the builds will be select. I know what I want to do and dont want to do. When it comes to bikes, I will refuse to compromise my standards. I'm also pumped about many innovative and fresh new parts Ive designed.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://www.bikernet.com/docs/s…50/width500/b8gallery.jpg]

Since you've been gone, the world went to economic hell. What's been your take and impression of the bullshit we've faced?

If I had to choose any time in my life to be forced into prison, Id pick this time. Its a mess out there for all of you in the free world. There's a lot to say about it. As a nation, we will recover. Life will be different, though. When we do recover, I think well see greater class separation. Too many people dont want to work hard. For those of us who do, I think life will be better than ever. I would like to see the culture of entitlement, we created, disappear. The bike industry will rebound. Remember 1995 to 1998? Its cyclical. It will come back.

http://www.bikernet.com/pages/story_detail.aspx?id=10250

Where you come from - Is gone. Where you thought you were going - Was never there.

• He's been moved to a bridging facility. Essentially, it's a place that prepares them for a work release program. He has just over a year left on his sentence. If he gets the work release (which looks good) he'll be working at a HD dealership during the day and a custom shop in the evening. That should be coming up in a few months.

Where you come from - Is gone. Where you thought you were going - Was never there.

• Kumpels im Knast...einer 3 Jahre, der andere kommt nicht mehr raus! Selbst zum Glück nur 6 Wochen!

Der hat doch im besoffenen Kop jemanden über`n Haufen gefahren! Find ich in dem Fall nicht unfreundlich! Musste als Kind mit ansehen, wie mein Bruder auf diese Weise starb. Hoffe, daß Arschloch wurde so richtig rangenommen...